Västerås Sinfonietta introduces a unique way of working for Swedish orchestras, where four diverse musical artists will have a three-year partnership with the ensemble: Jazz musician and arranger Magnus Lindgren, conductor Jessica Cottis, composer Benjamin Staern, and Lorenza Borrani, leader/musician.
Starting in autumn 2023, Västerås Sinfonietta will collaborate with these celebrated musicians through the spring of 2026. The initiative provides an opportunity for the artists and the orchestra to further develop their relationship.
– Throughout my years of booking guest artists, there are people we have become extra fond of. Working with artistic partners provides us the opportunity to create more continuous programming as well as the ability to better plan ahead, says Rikard Gateau, artistic director at Västmanlandsmusiken.
He adds that it also helps to further develop the orchestra as well as to expand the orchestra’s reputation. Our artistic partners will be ambassadors for Västerås Sinfonietta.
Magnus Lindgren, jazz musician and arranger:
– Being an artistic partner with Västerås Sinfonietta is a great honor and something I’m really looking forward to. Both for me personally in terms of what I can learn, but I also hope to bring elements that are challenging and inspiring to the orchestra. A jazz musician for example needs to understand how much a classical musician has practiced playing a perfect mezzo piano with a half bar crescendo for piano. I find Västerås Sinfonietta to be very open-minded and perceptive.
Jessica Cottis, conductor:
– In collaborating with this orchestra, I’ve always felt a special musical connection and intellectual affinity. It’s very inspiring to programme and create music with these brilliant and open-minded musicians who bring with them such warmth and vision to their art. I am very proud to be a part of this wonderful group of people.
Lorenza Borrani, leader/musician:
– Already during our first project with Haydn and Maderna, Västerås Sinfonietta musicians’ desire for creating something special was constantly present. It is this sort of creative environment, with its atmosphere and commitment, that I love to be in. I am greatly looking forward to our next projects together!
Benjamin Staern, composer:
– Working with a brand new orchestra is like going on a blind date. You have no idea how it will turn out, but Västerås Sinfonietta and I found each other immediately. We had an incredible time when the orchestra performed my work ”Sånger om bländvit kärlek” last autumn. I’m delighted to get a chance to hear them play more of my works, and especially to be able to write completely new pieces for this wonderful ensemble. We’ll see what that turns out to be. It will also be exciting to get to know the other musicians in this project.
Västerås Sinfonietta previously announced that it is extending its contract with Simon Crawford-Phillips as chief conductor and artistic advisor.
He joined Västerås Sinfonietta in 2017 and is now starting his third appointment with the orchestra, with commitments through spring 2026.
– He is a unique and great combination of conductor, pianist and artistic brainstormer, Rikard Gateau in reference to the choice to continue collaborating with Simon.
– I look forward to continuing to push the boundaries with this fantastic ensemble, to reach out to a new audience, entertain and challenge our loyal visitors. Västerås is a thriving, vibrant city that needs a cultural life to nourish it, says Simon Crawford-Phillips.
About Västerås Sinfonietta
Established in 1883, Västerås Sinfonietta follows the guiding principles of ‘variety’, ‘tradition’ and ‘innovation’. It works together with classic masters as well as today’s new stars. The 33-musician-strong orchestra plays for its audience in subscription series as well as varied concert arrangements with Västerås Konserthus as its home stage. In 2017, Västerås Sinfonietta together with the Helsingborg Symphony Orchestra won a Swedish Grammy in the category “Classical Album of the Year” for the album Mats Larsson Gothe: Symphony No. 2.
Questions about Västerås Sinfonietta
021-40 36 30
070-727 49 19
Marketing and communications manager
021-40 36 29
073-964 89 89